Where haven’t we read we need to eat more fruits and vegetables? No one will dispute this as good – advice – but why is it so important? !
Meat, dairy, white sugar, and fats cause inflammation in the body. This contributes to high cholesterol, high blood pressure, type II diabetes, some cancers, and many other diseases. These foods suppress our immune system and contribute to disease.
Vegetables have the opposite effect: they reduce inflammation and they are protective. And they are powerhouses! Studies show that fruits and vegetables reduce LDL (the bad cholesterol) by 25-30% which is not too dissimilar to what is achieved by taking statin drugs. With over 100,000 micro-nutrients, fruits and vegetables strengthen our immune system and help prevent and reverse disease. Here are just a few examples:
- Tomatoes have the antioxidant (anti-inflammatory) lycopene that may reduce the risk of prostate and breast cancer and cardiovascular disease.
- Blueberries have anthocyanins which may improve memory.
- Kale contains lutein that helps prevent macular degeneration.
- Carrots, mango, sweet potatoes are full of beta-carotene and can help reduce cancer risk.
- Grapes contain polyphenols which improve cardiovascular conditions.
- Broccoli with high amounts of vitamin C aid in preventing osteoporosis.
No need to worry about the sodium, fat, or calories contained in fruits and vegetables. Eat all you want. They are safe and protective.
Why eat fruits and vegetables? To maintain a healthy immune system and optimal health!