OK – you blew the diet at Christmas time. This time of year food seems to tempt us more than ever, and our resistance seems weaker. It doesn’t mean your New Year’s celebration needs to go in the same direction. You just need a game plan. Here are some “damage control” ideas to get through the rest of the holiday season and beyond without adding extra pounds.
1. Offer to bring a dish to pass to the party. That way you can enjoy a dish lower in calories and fat and share it with others.
2. Don’t arrive at the party hungry. Before you go, eat something healthy that is high in fiber such as fruit or a small salad that will make you feel full.
3. Think about what you are eating before it goes in your mouth! One cup of unbuttered popcorn has 25 calories vs 150 in just 13 potato chips.
4. Look over at what is being served. Choose more whole foods vs the caloric-ridden processed foods.
5. Watch what you drink. An 8 oz. glass of eggnog has 250 calories and 19 gr of fat. An 8 oz. glass of apple cider has 128 calories and 0 gr of fat. Alcoholic drinks are high in calories. Alternate having an alcoholic drink with having
a glass of water. The water will make you feel full and has no calories.
6. Finally focus on spending more time on socializing and enjoying the company of others rather than on the food. That is what will make the party memorable.